It’s a New Year – Do You Have a New Outlook on Your Retirement?
Published on January 14, 2021
The new year often brings promises and resolutions to create new habits, get back to something we enjoy, or try something new. Why not apply the “new year, new you” mindset to your retirement planning as well?
Do any of these scenarios sound like you?
- You’ve been inattentive in the past when it came to contributing to your retirement plan on a regular basis. Now you might be falling behind on your retirement savings goals.
- As a younger millennial, you’ve been thinking you don’t need to open an IRA yet, but you have some cash sitting in a 401(k) from a previous employer.
- You are semi-retired and are looking around for a side gig to stay busy, but you don’t need the money for living expenses.
- You enjoy investing in alternative assets outside of your existing retirement plan and are curious about how you could make those nontraditional investments through a tax-advantaged retirement account.
Get a new plan for your retirement in the new year with a self-directed IRA
Self-directed investors are those who are comfortable making their own investment decisions (that’s where the “self-directed” part comes into play), and who are knowledgeable about (and often experienced in) investing in various alternative assets. For example, you:
- Already invest in real estate (residential, commercial, industrial, raw land, etc.)
- Understand how to make a secured or unsecured loan with interest and terms
- Are involved in private equity funding
- Trade in agricultural or energy commodities
- Buy and sell cryptocurrency
- Are passionate about investing in social causes
The list goes on and is as diverse as the investors who self-directed their retirement plans.
Open a new self-directed IRA at Next Generation
Whether you’re just starting out with your self-directed IRA or have one that needs some catchup contributions, Next Generation is here to help. As a self-directed retirement plan custodian and administrator, we work with investors who wish to include alternative assets in their self-directed IRAs. Our clients understand that this strategy enables them to diversify their retirement portfolios with investments they already know and understand, while also providing a hedge against stock market volatility and the same tax advantages as regular retirement plans.
The turn of the calendar page is a great time to consider opening a new self-directed retirement account and start putting your investing expertise to work through a tax-advantaged plan. We offer client education through webinars, on our blog, and complimentary education sessions to help you evaluate if self-direction is the right direction for your retirement goals. If you have a specific question or want to know more, you may also contact the Next Generation team by phone at 888.857.8058 or by email at NewAccounts@NextGenerationTrust.com.Back to Blog